Bachelor of Arts in Ministry
Are you exploring God’s call to serve others? At Kingswood, you will have the opportunity to live, study, and worship with those who share a passion of becoming Christ-like servant leaders.
Our B.A. in Ministry is a unique and customizable degree. You may customize your degree by selecting majors and minors that match with your gifts and interests, in order for you to effectively train for ministry. At the same time, you may also choose not to have a designated major and graduate with simply a B.A. in Ministry.
We believe in both academic excellence and practical ministry experience. You will be trained both in the classroom and outside of it. You will be required to complete a minimum of three Practicum assignments throughout your time at Kingswood.
In the fourth year of your B.A., you will have the opportunity to complete a four-month, in-depth supervised ministry experience under the direction of a qualified ministry leader in your field of study. During that time, you will be able to minister within a local church or parachurch ministry setting, whether here in North American or beyond.
Objectives of the B.A. (Ministry) program
- to acquaint the student with vocational and non-vocational ministry and assist them in developing a philosophy of ministry;
- to provide a theoretical foundation for a life of intellectual and spiritual development;
- to provide specific course work and practical experience to enhance the student’s ability to function as an effective leader in Christian ministry.
Outcomes of the B.A. (Ministry) program
- demonstrate an understanding of the central doctrines of the Christian faith and articulate them clearly;
- show an ability to view contemporary society accurately from a biblical perspective;
- demonstrate a knowledge of our Christian heritage;
- effectively interpret, expound, and proclaim the Word of God through word and deed;
- embrace leadership responsibilities and serve competently in and through a variety of church and parachurch ministries in North America and around the world;
- demonstrate a maturing Christian walk through the practice of prayer and the exercise of faith as guided by the Word and manifested by obedience to the Holy Spirit.
Majors & Minors
Here is a list of our minors and majors (programs) we offer for the degree. If you wish to view further details regarding the B.A. in Ministry, you may check out our catalogue.
- Children & Family Ministry (major or minor)
- Christian Counselling (major or minor)
- Church Planting (major or minor)
- Pastoral Ministry (major only)
- Evangelism, Compassion Ministry, & Social Justice (major only)
- Intercultural Studies (major or minor)
- Worship Arts (major or minor)
- Youth & Family Ministry (major or minor)
Note: Students completing the B.A. in Ministry degree will meet many of the academic requirements for ordination in their respective denominations. The core courses meet the academic requirements for licensing in The Wesleyan Church. Students may then choose to pursue ordination in The Wesleyan Church. Depending on the selection of one’s major and/or minor, this may require a ninth semester at Kingswood.