Applying for US Federal Aid

American citizens and permanent residents studying full-time can apply for subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loans, Parent Plus Loans and/or Private Loans. A student may be eligible to borrow the maximum annual loan limit amount for each year of study. These limits are effective for periods of enrollment during the Federal Student Aid fiscal year beginning on or after July 1st until June 30th. Students are expected to have their paperwork completed and submitted to Kingswood University Financial Aid Office by July 15th.

Annual loan limits for dependent undergraduates

Grade Level Base Amount Unsubsidized Loan TOTAL Additional Unsubsidized
Loan if PLUS Denied
Total if PLUS Denied
Freshman $3,500 $2,000 $5,500 $4,000 $9,500
Sophomore $4,500 $2,000 $6,500 $4,000 $10,500
Junior and Higher $5,500 $2,000 $7,500 $5,000 $12,500


How to Apply for US Federal Aid from your FAFSA

  1. Create an FSA user ID.
  2. Complete FAFSA application online.
  3. Complete Master Promissory Note.
    • Go to and complete steps to electronically submit a Master Promissory Note.
  4. Email Request letter to KU – Download PDF
  5. Complete Entrance Counselling.
    • Go to Choose Entrance Counseling: Direct Loan. Only for students applying for the first time at KU.
  6. Complete Exit Counselling.
    • If you are in your last year at Kingswood go to and follow steps to complete Exit Counselling.

Parent Plus Loan

To apply for a Parent Plus Loan, you will need your own FSA ID. You may go to and follow the directions for completing a Master Promissory Note. Parents will need their own FSA ID to log in with.

Note: If the parent has received an adverse credit decision the student can receive an additional unsubsidized loan (Contact the Director of Financial Aid at 1-506-432-4423).
Parents may still be eligible to receive a Direct PLUS Loan. To become eligible, you may take one of the following actions:

Private Loans 

Private Loans are available to students with a co-signer. If interested contact SALLIE MAE at and choose the “Private Student Loan” option.

Disbursement of Loans
Loan monies come in two disbursements – mid to late August and late December or early January.

Student Finances Contact
Shelley Vail – Director of Financial Aid
Phone: 506.432.4423 or 888.432.4444