Kingswood University began as the Holiness Bible Institute in October 1945, in Woodstock, New Brunswick. The school was founded by the Alliance of the Reformed Baptist Church of Canada with the primary purpose of training ministers within the Atlantic region.
In 1947, the school relocated to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, and was renamed Bethany Bible College. Eighteen years later, the leaders once again explored the possibility of relocating to a site that would be more central for the constituency and would provide more opportunities for growth.
On September 18, 1965, Bethany Bible College reopened on the Sussex campus with two buildings on top of the hill overlooking the beautiful Kennebecasis Valley. Named in honour of President Conard Stairs who led the vision for the new campus, Stairs Hall housed administration offices, classrooms, the chapel and dining hall. Ingersoll House, which was named in honour of Rev. H. R. Ingersoll, provided dormitory housing.
In 1983, the Province of New Brunswick authorized the college to grant degrees, and Bethany Bible College became accredited through the Commission on Accreditation of the Association for Biblical Higher Education in 1987. The school has since added other Associate of Arts and Bachelor degree programs, and a Master of Arts in Pastoral Theology.
In 2011, Bethany Bible College was renamed Kingswood University to better serve our purpose of equipping servant leaders for global impact.
Over the years, more property was acquired, and dorms, classrooms, and faculty offices have been added. In 2008, the Saunders Irving Chapel was dedicated and serves as the centre point of campus. Following a complete modernization and refurbishment of the library in 2010, the Earle & Marion Trouten Library was renamed and rededicated. These significant additions, along with other major renovations, provide an excellent campus atmosphere for learning and worship.
Kingswood University exists to prepare men and women for vocational Christian ministry. Our graduates serve across North America and in 28 countries around the world. As we celebrate over 70 years of service to the Church, we remain committed to developing Christ-like spiritual leaders to serve God and His Church around the world.