Administrator Job Description – Vice President for Donor Engagement
Position Title: Vice President for Donor Engagement
Classification: Full-time Administrator
Responsible To: The President
Purpose: As Chief Donor Engagement Officer, devise strategies, manage activities and resources, and engage staff and volunteers in fund development to ensure that Kingswood University raises the donation revenue necessary for the University to fulfil its mission.
This person leads fundraising. The individual must interpret trends, strategies and techniques of fund development to colleagues and volunteers, lead in applying best practices, manage a comprehensive fund development program and directly engage donors, asking for donations.
Approximately half of this person’s time will be spent travelling in North America in direct donor engagement, seeking first gifts, renewed gifts and upgraded gifts from current and potential donors across North America.
Goal: Success is defined as increasing the number of donors at all levels, and the amount of funds raised each year, with a focus on leadership level gifts, at levels that help ensure long-term financial stability for Kingswood University.
Fundraising Leadership and Strategy
- Set strategy, create and lead implementation of the comprehensive annual fund plan for Kingswood University in accordance with goals and budgets adopted by the Board of Trustees (BOT).
- The plan and program will effectively:
- Cultivate, solicit and report to donors
- Move donors to the next level of giving and involvement.
- Identify new donors through various means of constituency contacts.
- Enhance the relationship of current donors with the university through appropriate communication, involvement and recognition.
- Direct a major gift program, in consultation with the President, involving and training others as appropriate, and carrying a significant major donor portfolio.
- Provide leadership in capital fund raising projects and campaigns as directed by the President and approved by the BOT.
- Direct the promotion and acquisition of estate and deferred gifts, and gifts designated for scholarships and endowments.
Related Leadership Responsibilities (directly affecting fundraising success)
- Direct alumni relations, cultivating their continued involvement and support of the university.
- Support the President’s role in fundraising by assisting the President in:
- Engaging Kingswood University BOT in direct development of donors
- Engaging the BOT as donors
- Strategizing and preparing for key donor solicitations
- Promoting and building a culture of philanthropy at Kingswood University.
- Setting an example of financial support for the university through personal giving.
- Enhance the relationship of Kingswood University with Wesleyan churches across North America and constituent denominations to cultivate sustained support.
- With the President, provide leadership and management for special events which have a development focus.
- Create and maintain a compelling and current Case for Support and, in collaboration with the Director of Marketing, ensure it is consistently applied in university communications.
- Initiate creation of all appeals and collateral materials aimed primarily at donors, and donor-oriented pages of the website, in partnership with the Director of Marketing.
- Serve as the institutional liaison with the Buckingham Leadership Institute.
- Engage and supervise the staff of the donor engagement office, both paid and volunteer.
- Develop the departmental budget and oversee expenditures in accordance with limits set by the President and approved by the BOT.
- Create meaningful measures of Return on Investment.
- Research and report on fund development matters to the President, proposing policies as appropriate.
- Report to the President as requested, and to the BOT periodically, on the progress and success of the donor engagement department.
Responsibilities as a Member of the Leadership Team
- Serve as a member of the administrative cabinet, assisting the President in overall operation of the university.
- Provide leadership in other areas of the university as directed by the President.
- View position as a ministry including mentoring students in their Christian walk as opportunities arise in the fulfillment of your responsibilities.
- Attend chapel on a regular basis.
- Significant direct experience devising strategies and tactics, and managing fundraising, philanthropy, donor relations, and donor communications.
- Advanced understanding of the motivations of donors, and dynamics affecting donations.
- Thorough knowledge of different sources of donation revenue and how to use each to build a successful annual fund program.
- Strategic thinker with capacity for analysis.
- Knowledge required to examine and re-engineer operations, formulate policy and procedures and develop and implement strategies.
- Ability to pursue, manage and monitor multiple integrated opportunities simultaneously.
- Vice President level skills and experience including project management, self-motivation, goal accomplishment, and work prioritization.
- Strong leadership and supervisory abilities.
- Good interpersonal communication skills including listening, relating, diplomacy, tact and creative problem solving.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and, ideally, Raiser’s Edge.
- Understanding of and ability to communicate Christian values and beliefs to students.
Qualities as a person
- Exemplary Christian character and lifestyle in agreement with the membership commitments for leaders of The Wesleyan Church and ministry and mission focus of the University.
- Positive personal characteristics of attitude, flexibility, initiative, persistence, professional appearance and presentation, and team spirit.
- Genuine and evident love for other persons demonstrated by consistent spirit of kindness, compassion and respect for all.
- Excellent ability and willingness to maintain rigorous confidentiality.
- Integrity and moral excellence, with life above reproach.
- Commitment to enthusiastically assist in fulfilling Kingswood University’s mission.
General University Information
Kingswood University is a Bible college owned by The Wesleyan Church. The mission of Kingswood is to serve Jesus Christ by strengthening the local and global church through forming Christ-like servant leaders in a community that creatively blends academic excellence and practical ministry experience with intentional spiritual formation.
Direct resumes to:
Dr. Stephen Lennox
26 Western St. P. O. Box 5125
Sussex, NB E4E 5L2
Phone: (506) 432-4407
Fax: (506) 432-4426
Resumes and cover letters should be in PDF format only.