Job Description – Director of Plant Operations
Position Title: Director of Plant Operations
Classification: Full-Time (40 hours per week on average), 12 months
Responsible To: Vice President, Kingswood University
Position Summary: The Director of Plant Operations provides point leadership and team development for the inspection, maintenance, and beautification of all campus facilities, equipment, and grounds to ensure that they are functional, safe, and attractive and operating in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- View this position as a ministry including mentoring students in their Christian walk as opportunities arise in the fulfillment of your responsibilities.
- Provide daily supervision of the Maintenance Facilitator, student and other maintenance workers and volunteers.
- Ensure that all Maintenance Requests are responded to in a timely, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Maintain a high quality of workmanship and encourage the same in the Plant Operations staff.
- Keep the University in compliance with all fire, health, safety and building code requirements of the local, provincial and national levels as necessary for ongoing operations.
- Communicate to the supervisor and appropriate co-workers recommendations and needs for campus improvements.
- Work as a team member and teacher with the Maintenance Facilitator and other maintenance staff to accomplish university maintenance, repairs and all other departmental functions.
- Obtain quotes for projects for approval as directed by supervisor.
- Oversee the work of contractors and outside service personnel.
- Assist with the development of the Plant Operations and Residence Services budgets and monitor them to ensure that purchases stay within the approved limits.
- Prioritize jobs and manage them within the allotted budget.
- Assist in the development and execution of a systematic schedule of maintenance.
- Maintain and further develop the health and safety standards of the University.
- Oversee the institutional vehicles, planning for their timely inspection and maintenance.
- Manage institutional garbage and snow removal.
- Oversee mail pickup and delivery to the post office.
- Receive University deliveries and distribute goods as required to various campus locations.
- Provide appropriate plant operations service to ensure the success of special events.
- Provide and arrange after hours service for plant operations emergencies, special events, and snow removal.
- Maintain documentation on plant operations procedures, equipment, and projects and provide information to supervisor as requested.
- Take a healthy level of responsibility and pride in the presentation of campus and its services.
- Be available for consultation at the request of the President and V.P.’s.
- Participate in institution committees as requested and appropriate.
- Perform service oriented work with a positive attitude and a servant spirit.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervising Vice President which are required to accomplish the mission of Kingswood University.
- Exemplary Christian character and lifestyle in agreement with the membership commitments of the Wesleyan Church and ministry and mission focus of the University.
- Understanding of and ability to communicate Christian values and beliefs to students.
- Skills in project management, general maintenance, and grounds keeping.
- Mechanical assessment skills, insight, and good judgment.
- Familiar and adept with basic tools and equipment relative to the position.
- Self-motivated and energetic.
- Aptitude and ability for strenuous work.
- Good interpersonal communication skills including listening, relating, teaching and problem solving.
- Positive personal characteristics of attitude, flexibility, initiative, persistence, professional personal presentation, and a team spirit.
- Plant operations experience in an institutional environment and hands on expertise in one or more areas of construction, including carpentry, electrical, plumbing or HVAC, and a working knowledge of the others would be an asset.
General University Information
Kingswood University is owned and operated by The Wesleyan Church. Kingswood University exists to serve Jesus Christ by strengthening the local and global church through forming Christ-like servant leaders in a community that creatively blends academic excellence and practical ministry experience with intentional spiritual formation.
Email a cover letter of interest and resume in pdf format only to:
Rev. Kirk Sabine, VP for Campus Life
26 Western St., PO Box 5125
Sussex, NB, E4E 5L2
Phone: (506) 432-4408