“Developing the Skills to Plant Creative Churches”
How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!—Isaiah 52:7
Are you a risk-taker? A dreamer? Do you believe in stepping out into the unknown? Are you passionate about reaching the unchurched? Are you sensing God prompting you to start something new for Him?
Our Church Planting program will train you to creatively plant churches. You will learn practical strategies of how, with God’s help, to plant healthy churches, all grounded upon a solid biblical foundation.
Church planting has been happening since the Early Church was founded. Today much of church growth is the result of trained church planters starting new, effective churches, sensitive to their cultural contexts.
At Kingswood, we will teach you that church planting does not have to be an impossible or intimidating task but something that God calls and equips us to do. APPLY NOW!
Kingswood University strives for academic excellence by offering a core set of courses unique to each accredited program, along with the Bible and theology courses required for the B.A. in Ministry degree.
Principles of Church Planting
Planting a church takes careful planning. This course will give an overview of the biblical basis of church planting. You will learn about finances, outreach/evangelism strategies, and staffing. You will be able to visit current church plants to see how they operate. For a unique hands-on experience, you will do what is called a "Start Something New" creative project where you will plan and organize a ministry (whether it is one day, weekly, or monthly), fundraise for it if need be, create a "lead team" of students for it, and actually implement it.
Strategies in Church Planting
Do you want the opportunity to set up a church planting strategy? You will study local culture, fundraising strategies, gathering a core/leadership team, advertising, discipleship, congregational care, and prelaunch methods. You will develop a planting strategy, where you will choose the church plant location and see it through its first year of operation.
Church Health, Growth, & Leadership
Do you dream of one day pastoring a healthy, growing church? This course will teach you how a local church can grow not just in numbers but also in spiritual maturity. You will learn practical strategies on how to lead, based on what the Bible teaches.
Empowering & Equipping Lay Ministry
A pastor should never do ministry alone. They must seek to empower and equip lay people to minister alongside of them. A true leader desires to identify, develop, and support potential lay leaders to serve in their churches and communities, using the gifts God has given them.
What does it mean to be a pastor? Preaching might be the obvious task associated with the calling. However, there is so much more to pastoring. This course will teach you about both the “up-front/public” and “behind-the-scenes” aspects of the calling. You will even have opportunities to visit with pastors in various leading-edge churches.
It is one thing to stand in front of a group of people to speak. It is an entirely another thing to know how to do it well. Homiletics will introduce you to the art of preaching. You will learn to prepare and deliver creative, energetic, theologically-sound sermons. You will even have opportunity to practice preaching in front of your classmates and a coaching professor.
Need some more practice preaching? Not to worry. This course will build on what you already learned in Homiletics. It will help you develop further preaching skills while emphasizing the use of social media and technology in preaching.
Note: If you wish to view further details regarding the program, you may check out our catalogue.
Along with academic excellence, Kingswood University seeks to incorporate practical ministry experience into all our programs.
- You will participate in a Student Ministry assignment three times throughout your studies. This will entail doing practical ministry for three hours each week, under the direction of an approved student ministry supervisor.
- As a Church Planting major, you will embark on a Supervised Ministry Experience, the major practical component of your program. This internship will be completed in your fourth year and will last for approximately four months. You will work with an experienced pastor in a church planting context, as you immerse yourself fully into learning how to plant a church.
- You will participate in numerous field trips to church plants in a variety of denominations. And you will be asked to do class assignments that require you to interact with effective pastors currently serving in ministry.
- You will hear from a number of classroom guest speakers currently leading effective churches.
An education at Kingswood University would not be complete without making an intentional effort to form students holistically—heart, mind, hands, and habits.
- You will have weekly meetings with two or three accountability partners. You will also be able to sit down and chat with your program director, to talk through life and ministry practices.
- Dr. Elliott accepts a limited number of students each semester to meet for noon-hour life/ministry coaching.
Stephen D. Elliott, D.Min.
Program Director of Church Planting
Program Director of Church Planting
One of my Bible college professors challenged me to pastor a community, not just a congregation, and to create warmth in a church through small group relationships. Insights, such as these, have shaped significantly and successfully my church planting efforts. Now I have the wonderful opportunity to pass along ministry insights and skills to a new generation of Christian leaders.