Dr. Stephen J. Lennox, Ph.D.
Dr. Stephen J. Lennox became Kingswood’s 12th president on July 1, 2015. He was unanimously elected by the Board of Trustees during their spring 2015 meeting and officially inaugurated as president on October 16, 2015.
Dr. Lennox, an ordained minister of The Wesleyan Church, served ten years in pastoral ministry. During that time, his love for the Bible grew into a burning passion to study and teach it.
For twenty-two years, Dr. Lennox served with distinction at Indiana Wesleyan University in several roles, including Division Chair of the School of Theology and Ministry, Director of the graduate ministry program, Dean of the Chapel, and Honours Professor of Bible and Humanities. The recognized scholar holds four degrees: the Ph.D. and M.Phil. from Drew University, the M. Div. from Evangelical Theological Seminary, and a B.A. from Houghton College.
A Christian statesman and prolific writer, Dr. Lennox has authored six books on the Old Testament including commentaries on Psalms, Proverbs, and Joshua, as well as an introduction to the Old Testament, God's Story Revealed. He has led educational tours for students in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, in addition to participating in excavations at Tel Dor in Israel.
Dr. Lennox strongly supports cross-cultural education and has taught courses in Russia, Jamaica, Zambia, and Mozambique. He and his wife, Eileen, have two children and two grandchildren.
A proven leader with an educated mind and warm heart, Dr. Lennox firmly believes that,
As Kingswood remains faithful to its calling and obedient to His leading, God will bless our efforts with success to His glory.
1992 – Ph.D. (Biblical Studies), Drew University, Madison, NJ
Ph.D. Dissertation Title: “Biblical Interpretation in the American Holiness Movement, 1875-1920.” Approved with distinction.
1991 – M.Phil. (Biblical Studies), Drew University, Madison, NJ
1982 – M.Div. (Pastoral Ministry), Evangelical School of Theology, Myerstown, PA
1979 – B.A. (Communications), Houghton College, Houghton, NY
David: Favoured Friend of God, Wesleyan Publishing House, 2016.
Moses: Faithful Servant of God, Wesleyan Publishing House, 2016.
Abraham: Father of All Who Believe, Wesleyan Publishing House, 2015.
Joshua: A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition, Beacon Hill Press, 2015.
God's Story Revealed: A Guide for Understanding the Old Testament, Wesleyan Publishing House, 2009.(Previously published as God with Us: An Introduction to the Old Testament, Triangle Publications, 2003.)
Commentary on the Psalms, Wesleyan Publishing House, 1999.
Commentary on Proverbs, Wesleyan Publishing House, 1998.
“The Ethical Challenges of Genetic Engineering” in Care of Creation (Wesleyan Publishing House, 2010) (co-authored with Burt Webb).
“The Bible as God’s Treasure” in The Keys to the Treasure, (Wesleyan Publishing House, 2008).
“What Does it Take to be a Holiness Church?” In His Likeness (Beacon Hill Press, 2007).
“When is Jesus Coming?” in Living Christ (Beacon Hill Press, 2006).
“Is Conflict Necessary?” in Christians in Conflict (Beacon Hill Press, 2004).
“The Bible” in Building Faith, (Wesleyan Publishing House, 2002).
“I Believe in God the Father” in A Place to Stand: Forty Days of Prayer and Fasting, (Wesleyan Publishing House, 2002).
"The Widow and Mary: The Measure of Success" in Success by the Book, (Nazarene Publishing House, 1999).
“Managing Time” in Who's on First? (Nazarene Publishing House, 1999).
"Becoming a Holy Community" in Reflecting God NIV Study Bible, (Zondervan Publishing House, 1999).
“A Promise Making God” in Great Passages of the Bible, (Nazarene Publishing House, 1997).
"A Biblical Response to Homosexuality - Part 1" (PDF)
"A Biblical Response to Homosexuality - Part 2" (PDF)
President Lennox's Posts
- 03/02/2017in UncategorizedI’ve been through all four seasons in the Maritimes, and each has a special beauty. Right now, we’re in the dead of winter, but that’s not so bad if you love the cold and snow....
- 25/01/2017in UncategorizedA. W. Tozer, Mystery of the Holy Spirit. Edited by James L. Snyder (Alachua, FL: Bridge-Logos, 2007). I was an early convert to Tozer’s writings, having been given Gems from Tozer, a collection of his memorable sayings, shortly after my call to ministry as a teen. God used two other Tozer’s books, Pursuit of God and...
- 18/01/2017in Uncategorized
What I’ve been reading: Review of From Grace to Grace: The Transforming Power of Holiness, by Mark R. Quanstrom (Kansas City: Beacon Hill Press, 2011)The church needs to hear the message of full salvation. They need a grace which transforms to replace a grace which excuses. Some within the Wesleyan movement have taken up the challenge and articulated the message of Wesley in contemporary terms. Two worthy candidates are David McKenna’s What a Time to be Wesleyan and Steve...
- 09/01/2017in UncategorizedEven as you read this, students are wrapping up their Christmas break and making final plans to head back to campus. We expect to see several new faces this semester, both new full-time and part-time students. We’ll also see a few who have chosen to rejoin us after a time away from campus....
- 02/12/2016in UncategorizedVery soon our students will be getting ready to scatter across North America for their Christmas break. From all accounts, it has been a great semester!...